Friday, 28 December 2012

THE INTIMATE STORY OF DON JAZZY: HOW HE TRANSFORMED FROM BEING AN AKARA SELLER TO WORLD CLASS PRODUCER


Saying that popular music producer and singer,Charles Enebeli popularly known as Don Jazzy is one of the biggest players in the Nigerian music industry is not an understatement.
This is as a result of his contributions to the industry.

The former CEO of  Mo' Hits Records founded in 2004 and current CEO of the Mavin Records label which he founded in May 2012 after his split up with childhood friend and Mo'Hits partner, D'banj,we gathered, during his teenage days was useful to himself and again to those who gave birth to him by helping them to sell bean cake(akara) and after his secondary education days, he tried to make do with something meaningful to his life; and in struggling to make ends meet, he decided to become a bus conductor.
He moved to London in the United Kingdom in 2000 after his Uncle invited him to come play the drums for the neighborhood Church.
Various odd jobs followed including working at McDonalds and as a security guard. Already imbued with an intimate knowledge of traditional and percussion instruments, Don Jazzy further built on his musical knowledge during his UK stint.
Along the line, he met the group called Solek Crew,a United Kingdom-based Nigerian band as a professional keyboardist, he later met one of the most successful artistes in Africa today, the Koko-master who goes by the real name Dapo Oyebanjo a.k.a D’banj.
Together they mingled and started producing some meaningful songs which suit their own style of musical ideology which is targeted at the Nigerian youths.
Luck however came the way of Don Jazzy in 2011, when he alongside his friend,D’banj, were signed on to G.O.O.D music, owned by American multiple Grammy Award winning superstar,Kanye West.
However, after 8 years of hard-work and struggles turning Mo' Hits label into a big brand, around March 2012, rumours of irreconcilable differences between the label heads surfaced.
 The die-hard fans of the record label and fans of the synergy of Don Jazzy and D'Banj where torn apart, with tweets by Don Jazzy announcing their breakup.
Rumours you have all heard recently are sad but true. The way forward now is to make sure I keep bringing you guys more of the beautiful music y’all love to dance to”Don Jazzy tweeted
On the wake of the split up, Samsung unveiled Don Baba J as he’s fondly called as their ambassador; and was handsomely paid.
Few months later, he clinched another mouth watering deal with Loyal Milk, a brand of Promasidor Nigeria Limited and also float a Nite Club.
In an interview he granted weeks back, he opened up on what music has done for him.
According to him: “Music has been a source of happiness for me and my family. I didn’t finish my education before I went into music and I thank God today that I didn’t regret dropping out of school.
At times, I will seat back and thank God for the success I have achieved in the industry. I know it’s not easy for a lot of other people but it has been so easy for me.
I don’t regret anything. I just love the way it’s going and I pray that God help me attain the height He has planned for me.” He said
With this accomplishment, it has further elevated the already iconic status of the millionaire hit producer to a pedestal global reckoning.




0 comments:

Post a Comment